Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A Cabin in Volcan Baru National Park




I know, I know! It's been nearly a month since I last wrote. As usual, I'm just having too much fun! My latest adventure was taking my 4WD love truck up the side of Volcan Baru in order to stay at the Peterson family cabin for 3 nights. You see, Luisa "won" a week at the Boquete Auction in December. So I split the week with her. Carol & I spent our days birding (my favorites were Flame-colored Tanagers, White-winged Tanagers, Slate-throated Redstarts, and the Black-and-white Warbler), watching the ever-changing gorgeous view (notice the pictures), and hiking. We spent our nights (after we went to bed at 8:00 p.m.) watching the stars and fireflies. I had no idea fireflies hung out in such high (5,700 feet) locations. When we returned to Boquete, we made the mistake of having lunch at Finca Lerida (located on the road to the Quetzal Trail that is now washed out from the November flooding). We heard the Three-Wattled Bellbird on the way into the restaurant & we could barely concentrate on lunch after that. We ended up spending the night so we could take a birdwalk in the morning. After lunch, we actually saw a Bellbird "singing". What a find! And in the morning, I saw a female Quetzal fly overhead and a whole tree-load of Trogons (Orange-bellied and Black-throated). On to the next adventure!

No comments: