Thursday, May 1, 2008

The Green Season


The Green Season (otherwise known as the wet season) hit Playa La Barqueta today. My morning started out with a lovely walk on the beach (at 6:15 a.m.) where I encountered a very beautiful crab called a Rainbow Land Crab. I did not have my camera with me, so I stole this from the Internet. These crabs are black, red and purple. Playa La Barqueta (which means the beach of little boats) is a magical oasis of good weather, according to locals. All around us during the Green Season we'll have rain, thunder and lightening, but little of it touches us. At least, that's what I thought this afternoon when I took off for my second beach walk. It was raining lightly and I thought, no big deal, it will keep me cool. Clouds were quite dark east and west of my condo building (the beach runs east/west). I chose the western direction simply because I had gone east in the morning. After 15 minutes, it starting raining harder, and I actually had goose pimples (something I haven't experienced since I left the US). Then came a big flash of lightening followed shortly thereafter by big thunder. Thinking it would look bad if I died so soon after arriving in Panama, I turned around and ran back to the safety of my condo. It was comforting to sit on my lanai reading a book and listening to the rain drops.
Buenos Noches,
Elena

No comments: